Sunday, November 20, 2005

New EWTN series....Part II

Some of my readers may remember my post concerning a new series on EWTN that deals with the social teachings of the Catholic Church. I also noted that I would give a review of the series in due time. Although time constraints prevent me from giving a real in-depth commentary, nevertheless there are a few things I have to say about this program.

I must admit that at first I was highly cynical and skeptical as to the quality of this program, as one could conclude from my previous post on the matter. I certainly was not impressed with the first episode I watched. However, after viewing several more episodes my opinion on the series has dramatically changed. I find this series as an excellent introduction to the vast array of topics addressed by Catholic Social Doctrine.

Msgr. Stuart Swetland is a wonderful host and does a wonderful job explaining the Church's view on several issues. The nature of the show follows him addressing a small group of college students.

My personal favorite episode was the one covering families and communities. What impressed me most was when Swetland stated that the Church has always placed greater emphasis on "organic" communities as opposed to "artificial" ones. Although Swetland didn't mention ethnicity as an example of such(rather he actually gave "the state" as an example), but certainly the logic of an "organic" community presented could very easily be used to justify ethnicity as a basis for social organization from a Catholic perspective. And indeed it has been used to justify such. In his "Letter to Families"(1994), Pope John Paul II explained the importance of ethnic ties in linking individual families with society as a whole.

In our modern age that looks negatively upon ethnic and national loyalties, we Catholics cannot stressed this point enough!

Other good episodes in this series addressed issues concerning the workplace, labour relations and organization, and even today's episode concerning the environment.

So I highly recommend any socially-minded Catholic to watch this wonderful series!

Check your local listings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home