Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The simple pleasures of walking

Sadly, in our modern age of automobiles and other forms of rapid transportation, we've forgotten the more simpler and at times more pleasurable experience of walking. And I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty of this.

Not that I don't walk on a regular basis, I most certainly do. In my line of work, I walk an average of 7 miles(11.265 km) per shift. However, it's been a while since I last enjoyed a walk around the neighborhood just for the joy of it. And what a joy it most certainly is!

One thing I particularly like about walking is that it helps clear my mind and helps it to think more clearly. In fact, many of my most insightful thoughts have come to me while on a walk. Many commentaries that I've written here first started off as random thoughts that came to while walking. The difficult part, however, is trying to remember enough to write down on paper or type out what I thought. Sadly so many potentially good posts have been lost that way. Oh well!

It's an old habit I sincerely miss, and since spring is upon us now I will certainly try to get back into it. And I suggest all readers of this blog to get out (if they can) and take a nice refreshing walk once in a while.

Many studies have the many health benefits of regular walking, even at moderate paces. This alone should encourage people.

So feet, don't fail me now!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stella said...

My brother just busted into the computer room, all red and exhausted and boasted of an hour walk in the woods. He has this "free" look on his face- the benefits of a good walk! Looks like I have to get up off my chair and get some fresh air myself, while the day still lasts! Thanks for the push!

5:13 PM  
Blogger CS said...

As long as they stop taking those nice long walks across the border!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home