Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Memory and Identity

Last night, I came across a copy of John Paul II's last book Memory and Identity. In its pages, the late Pontiff reflects on many political and social issues concerning the modern world. I must say I was really moved by what I read.

I particularly enjoyed the section of the book concerning issues of patriotism and nationality. John Paul II asserted that nations, like families, are natural entities that are not forged merely by convention. He also claimed that patriotism is a noble virtue, and decried how many in the world today have rejected their rich heritages in the name of a "post-identity" world. He spoke often about the experience of the Polish nation and his own relationship to it as a guide for many of his viewpoints on the topic. These are all positions I most certainly agree with, and to which this blog is fully dedicated to spreading.

The Pope addressed other issues as well: the relationship between Church and State, Europe's identity and relationship to other continents, and so on. Sadly, I was not able to fully read the entire book, but as soon as I can will obtain a copy of this book.

Although I remain critical of many of John Paul II's policies and teachings, and how many of his followers portray him(I do not believe he should be canonized nor referred to as "John Paul the Great"); nevertheless, his words always touched a deep chord with me. Rest in Peace John Paul II.

1 Comments:

Blogger Perun said...

Basically many of his liberal teachings, especially concerning the issue of ecumenism. Also the issue of how JPII allowed many of the bishops to get away with murder in many ways, in the spirit of "collegiality" as stated by Vatican II. And so on.

So can see some of what I'm talking about here.

Then there's 101 Heresies of John Paul II

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home