Wednesday, April 05, 2006

EWTN: A Network Gone Wrong

Here's the website dedicated to Christopher A. Ferrara's new book EWTN: A Network Gone Wrong. The basic argument of this book is that the Catholic-based network that was originally founded by Mother Angelica has over recent times been hijacked by Neo-Catholics(many of whom are ex-Protestants) who have intentionally mixed traditional and orthodox Catholic elements with more modernist and other heretical-based beliefs.

I have not read the book (although I hope to obtain a copy of it), only the excerpts that are available at the website. And I became a viewer of EWTN only a few years after Mother Angelica relinquished control over the network. And I've not watched many of Mother Angelica's old programs. So overall I cannot comment much of how EWTN has degraded over the years or how much of a great figure Mother Angelica was for the network. I also cannot comment much on the theological errors promoted by EWTN either. For that information, you'll have to read the book or at least the excerpts at the website.

Nevertheless, in a general sense, I can comment on the many things that are wrong with EWTN. And like Ferrara, I make these criticism as somebody who is generally a great fan of the network and much of its programming.

I particularly agree with Ferrara's negative take on the show Life on the Rock, which is a youth-based show that features Franciscan monks trying to act "cool", by trying to mix Catholicism with rock music. Ok...that's not Catholicism by a long shot.

I also agree with the argument that ETWN seems to promote an attitude of "quasi-idolatry" towards the Pope(especially Pope John Paul II). You seriously wonder who on earth these people are really worshipping, John Paul II or Jesus Christ?

Also, I get the general impression that the form of Catholicism being promoted by many EWTN commentators is of a rather effeminate quality. Ferrara (at least to my knowledge) does not make this argument, but it's something I along with others have noticed. I see very little of the masculine and heroic sense of Catholicism that for example motivated chivalrous knights to do battle in the Crusades or the Reconquista. Nope, just a touchy-overly sensitive feelings sense of spirituality.

This book certainly has caused some controversy, especially those who are associated with EWTN. For example: Fr. John Trigilio, the co-host of the EWTN show Web of Faith, even gave his own commentary on the book, to which Ferrara gave a response.

Hopefully EWTN will return to the integrity it once had, but only time will tell!

4 Comments:

Blogger Perun said...

Well I congratuate you on your journey home to the Catholic Church(hehehehe). Hopefully this blog will be of some assistance in that endeaver.

Well as I said, Im criticising EWTN from the perspective of a devoted fan.

Like you, EWTN certainly helped lead me on my path towards the faith as well. And I was certainly shocked when I first heard any kind of criticism about EWTN since I thought it was a fine network.

Only gradually over time did I begin to see that the critics had a point. Of course as both me and the author insist, there's still much about the network that is great.

For example, one program I really enjoyed was one devoted to the rosary. Including the reciting of the rosary, the program showed Medieval and Renaisance paintings depicting events from the Gospel stories, with Gregorian chants playing in the background. Sadly they dont seem to play this anymore. :(

However, sadly, for much that is great about EWTN, there's much about it that's not so great. The point here is to direct people away from the more negative aspects of EWTN, which will allow them to pay attention to its positive aspects.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Roy F. Moore said...

May I also recommend the series "G. K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense", hosted by my friend Dale Ahlquist of the American Chesterton Society. It is an excellent series.

10:51 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I like that one too. It's quirky but intelligent, like GK was.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Perun said...

Yes, I watch Dale Ahlquist's show all the time. Now if only EWTN would get around to making a series dedicated to 'Old Thunder'.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home